Photos @ sarakassWent to check out the free concerts at the Taste of Chicago on the 4th of July. This year's lineup for the day was Mike Doughty, My Morning Jacket and Ray Davies. This is also the first concert I've been to - or at least that I noticed - that had people doing sign language of the concert in front. It was very entertaining to see the sign people rocking out to guitar and drum solos. Anyway I don't have much in terms of concert reviews, but I would like to mention these bands, and maybe if you haven't listened to them you can check out their stuff.
Mike Doughty opened the day. I was glad to see him. Doughty was the lead singer of the band Soul Coughing, which was one of my favorites in college. He has since released several solo releases. His most recent, Haughty Melodic, released last year has gained a spot in my most listened to cd's. I don't think many in the crowd were familiar with his work, but he managed to put on a good show nonetheless. I'm glad I decided to brave the crowds. You can listen to some of Mike Doughty's tunes on his myspace page.
Next up was My Morning Jacket. I first heard of this band from Kentucky when their first single, Golden, was being played on the radio. I didn't think much of it. It was being played a lot and i thought it was just too slow and too twangy, even though every now and then it seemed like it would be a cool song to listen to while relaxing on a beach, I still just couldnt get into it. Their next single however was drastically different. The energy in One Big Holiday was undeniable, it made me scramble to grab my guitar and figure out that little lick that is played throughout the song. That one song made me buy the cd, It Still Moves and I'm glad I did. Which brings me to their latest release 'Z' . This cd was on every top albums of 2005 that I read. They have become very popular lately due in part to the reviews received by 'Z', but the biggest selling point is their live shows. It was a real treat to be able to see them for free at the Taste of Chicago.
Ray Davies was the headliner of the night. Ray Davies was the lead singer of the band The Kinks. I dont think anyone can deny the success had by Davies and the Kinks, but I was never a big fan. Sure I have heard and enjoyed a number of their popular songs but I don't own any of their music. Maybe with Ray Davies new music I will develop more of an appreciation.
No comments:
Post a Comment